Kyg Grassroots Networks are as follows.....
Headed by Mohammed Nyange, Located in Mombasa County, Changamwe Constituency, Miriti location, mitini, mikindani and Jomvi Wards. As KYG grassroots network KYG Mombasa Chapter has domesticated all the KYG Vision, mission, Objective and Green principles among other local issues’ which include grassroots Democracy and Governance, Advocacy on Human Rights, Domestic violence, child rights and Peace Building.Some of the Activities carried out include: Voter education and registration, Currently attached KYG Mombasa Chapter to IEBC to offer civic Education on electron conduct ,Through KYG School we offer support to pupils affected and orphans to access basic needs and medication, Part of this support is done through UNSAID Aphia 2/plus NAD Child fund International.
Last year we partnered with Green World Campaign Team and NGO to educate pupils and Famers across the region on values of trees in the fight against Climate change effects. They support in seed and training.
KYG School in Mombasa through programme on Social justice, engaged previous street children orphaned by parents from HIV/AIDs .This programme has managed to secure land and now sourcing funds to build the plot for the school. It currently has 400 pupils and 14 teachers volunteering for the school from our able greens who believe in the course.
Contact KYG Mombasa Chapter
County Coordinator: Mohammed Nyange
Cell phone: +254721416169
Kenya Young Greens Thika Chapter has been Initiated by KYG Congress the highest decision making Organ of KYG that was held on 25 to 26th November 2011 at Nairobi Kasaran Sports view Hotel where Duncan Ambaka was elected as Kiambu County Representative.
Duncan Expressed concerns that Kiambu county had so many issues affecting Youth in the County especially Juja Constituency ranging from Illegal Gangs, hardcore criminals, Prostitution, Drug addiction, Irresponsible sexual behaviours, Unwanted pregnancies.HIV/AIDS, Unemployment, Child labour ,poverty and Un informed population etc.
As youth who have experienced all this vices, Duncan wants to use the challenges they have faced to be agents of change. They have mobilized youth within Thika and would like to engage other networks that are already exist in the entire Kiambu County on making the county very productive and a hub for responsible youth.
As we are all aware Climate Change is a greatest threat to our Environment as KYG we passionately conserve the environment by tree planting in all our environs e.g. Plots, Schools, Government institutions, Companies and along the highway, After our visit in several Institutions and companies we realized non has taken environment conservation as a key issues, we would like to work with companies where our youth can visit this places once in a week to do the exercise of general cleaning, Garbage collection, tree planting and nurturing them, at a cost which the company will agree and 0ffer income to the youth group.
Like Kiganjo Estate there is no Sewage line we would like to collaborate with the municipal council of Thika to see how youth from Kiganjo can benefit from the project.
On Poverty Eradication as our Object through MDGs youth from Kiambu county want to start a Christmas feeding programme to families in Kiambiu, Kiandutu,Kiangombe ,Gachagi, Matharau and Street kids within Thika town ,to at least put hope to the families living here. Target groups are factories’, food store, Supermarkets and Individuals, civic leaders, MPs Professionals.
KYG Kiambu County has established small business for its members where they engage in a number of businesses including boda boda, selling of second hand goods and Waste collection from Estate. This has seen most youth shift from the thinking of no jobs.KYG has also incorporated the training with Equity bank and KCB in financial literacy programme where our members are undergoing training, after which they will be awarded with certificates and be able to access loans through the very banks.
YATTA ENVIRONMENT NETWORK C.B.O. (YEN)
INTRODUCTION Y.E.N. CBO
GROUP BACKGROUND Yatta Environment Network is a community based organization (C.B.O.) which was formed initially as a Self Help.
The Group was founded in June 2007and is based in Kithimani Division Yatta district. The group was later transformed and launched as a C.B.O. (Community Based Organization) in the year 2009. The founders of the Yatta Environment Network realized that there was a great need to combat the disintegration of Environmental Ecosystems, deforestation, soil Erosion, Pollution and establish proper channels of waste disposal. These issues were to be tackled with one goal, to give Yatta a chance in checking the Ravages that accompany global warning.
Yatta district is situated in the lower Eastern province of Kenya. It is a semi-arid area which encompasses the Yatta Plateau the longest in Africa and parts of the Athi River Basin. Yatta District is administratively divided into three divisions Katangi, Ikombe and Yatta. Yatta Environment Network wishes to combat the above mentioned issues to save Yatta district from becoming a desert within the next 20 yrs.
Yatta District has enormous Agricultural Potential which at the moment is only based along the Yatta Irrigation canal and the Athi-River Basin. The situation can be changed to include the whole of Yatta District if Environmental degradation is checked and policies formulated to provide water to the whole of Yatta are put in place.
To be the leading network in environmental issues and the delivery of the same in Yatta efficiently and effectively.
To initiate and oversee environmental upgrading programmers. Combat deforestation, wipe away pollution, promote tree planting, establish proper waste disposal and be a watchdog against environmental disasters in Yatta and Kenya as a whole.
- Initiate environmental awareness campaigns in Yatta. Targeting the local community through schools, the local government and the churches.
- Tree planting campaigns in schools, farms, along our roads in, the towns, to tackle deforestation, land degradation and loss of Biodiversity through the destruction of habitat.
- Dissemination of environmental education through seminars, workshops, field studies, School participation, barazas and advertisements collaboration with media houses.
- To train and Empower the youth and local community in Yatta on how to improve, develop alternative uses and sources of energy through Rocket stoves and conserve the environment at the same time create self employment by engaging in environmental issues
- Engage the youth in sports tournament e.g. Athletics, Football etc as a way of committing them and attracting them to environmental issues.
- To sensitize the need to save our wetlands and water sources to ensure continued Eco-support for our basic life systems. (Provision of water, sanitation and food).
Yatta Environment Network has embarked on many successful ventures in the past.
- June 2007 - Y.E.N organized and mobilized local community schools and businessmen
In partnership with Town Council of Matuu in cleaning up and waste disposal in Kithimani Market
June 5/2008 World Environment Day – Organized the tree planting of 2000 tree seedling at the Yatta District Headquarters’, but few survived the hot weather due to lack of water.
- August 2008, organized clean-up in Matuu town.
- October 2008, - During the launching of Yatta Environment Network as a CBO planted over 1000 trees at DC’s HQS and stadium. Also hosted the first Mazingira Cup which was won by Kithendu Football team.
- The organization launched the 3year Tree Planting Programme with the theme;” Plant a Tree Green Yatta”. The District commissioner Yatta was the Guest of honor.
- 3rd Jan 2009. Clean up exercise in partnership with Miss Environment Kenya (2005-2009) Miss Lillian Mutuku Giraffe Center award Winner also Launched Mazingira (environment) Cup Tournament for the year 2009.
- May 2009 – Y.E.N had Tree Planting exercise in partnership with Kenya Commercial Bank (KCB) Matuu & HGM primary school where1000 trees planted and All have successfully grown and flourishing. .
- August 2009 –Y.E.N allocated space by Ministry of Roads and Public Works for nurseries and seedbed courtesy of the District works Engineer.
- Dec 2009 – launching of the 3year Tree Planting Awareness Campaign in partnership with groups, local authorities and commercial enterprises in the whole Yatta district
- June 2010 Hosted World Environment Day 2010 and planted over 200 seedlings at Kithimani Primary School where the institution adopted the trees.
- June 2010 Y.E.N acquired a10000litres water tank from the Ministry of Water for the Y.E.N Nurseries.
- July 2010 Launched the first ever Yatta plateau Marathon 2010 attended and facilitated by the Chairperson Kenya Young Greens Org.(KYG) where 8 athletes participated and each awarded..
- Oct-Nov 2010 in partnership with Ministry of Education implemented a Programme where over 20,000 tree seedlings were planted in 20 selected primary schools in Yatta District. This being part of mitigation measures the Organization is taking on climate change
- Nov 2010 the Organization was represented in the National Youth Conference on CLIMATE CHANGE and also in 1st African Summit ON Water & Sanitation on Climate Change all Held at MULTI-MIDEA UNIVERSITY NAIROBI.KENYA.
- The Organization fully participated in National Tree Planting Event (Back to Eden) at Mulli Children’s Family in Yatta / Ndalani ,Machakos County where over 1000 youths from all parts of the country met, planting and watering 3500 tree seedlings.
Y.E.N CORPORATE PARTNERS
- Kenya Young Greens Organization.(KYG)
- National Environment Management Authority ( NEMA )
- KCB –Matuu Branch
- Town Council Of Matuu
- Equity Bank Matuu Branch
- Mulli children’s Family – Yatta/Ndalani
- Brilliant supermarket Matuu
- Gachanja Muhoro & sons ltd
PARTNERING GROUPS AND SCHOOLS
- Kanini kaseo SHG
- Primary and Secondary schools in Yatta District
- Kambi ya Ndeke youth SHG
- Yatta Vision Team
- Triple K self help group
- Vision Tree Nurseries
Coordinator 0725 802 078
Robert Nzau :Chairman 0715 190 847
Yatta Environment Network C.B.O. Account held at Equity bank Matuu branch
Acc. No. 0390194865261
YATTA ENVIRONMENT NETWORK C.B.O. (YEN)
MAAI MAHIU YOUTHS FOR PEACE AND ENVIRONMENTAL NETWORK C.B.O.
(A KENYA YOUNG GREENS NETWORK- RIFT VALLEY PROVINCE)
be a leading youth and community based organization that conserves environment and promote sustainable development within Naivasha district and countrywide.
to create an informed, educated and self reliant community by creating job opportunities through establishments of sustainable projects based on locally available resources.
To have a united, informed and self reliant community that conserves the environment sustainably.
- Core values:
Over the years the area has continued to experience unexpected rain fluctuation and some time no rain and when it comes may be high than expected causing heavy flooding in the area as well as distortion of the communication system in the area.
Forest degradation through charcoal burning, timber harvesting and forest fires are the major threat to the less mentioned Kijabe forest. The few remaining trees have continued to die due to low rainfall in the area while some have been cut to cater for the continued increase of timbre products. Unlike the other forests in Kenya have community forest services the Kijabe which is adjacent to Kinale forest has been omitted in the development of the critical ecosystem in Kenya with being mentioned on its conservation. The land has been left bare therefore prone to the frequent floods.
The MAYOPEN members came together and initiated a tree planting project which involved all the youths planting trees in their respective location.
2. litter and garbage collection
Litter collection is a project geared toward s environmental sustainability. The waste as generated by the different people, domestic, industrial and agricultural refuse end up polluting the environment leading to environment hazards such as diseases.
The youths saw the need to work towards maintaining the good environment especially in the major towns such as Naivasha and Maai mahiu. This is a project that is done on monthly bases under youths volunteer system
3. HIV/AIDS and drug abuse awareness
HIV and aids have become a major threat to the community especially the youth. Naivahsa districtis one of the most hit regions in the country and the youths are one of the affected group. MAYOPEN youths came together with the help of world vision to create awareness on the killer disease and effects of drug consumption
4. Education program
Despite that the government initiated free primary school education the people with special needs have not been favored by the project as the parents go deep in the pockets to pay for the fees of their children. The internally displaced people cannot sustain this therefore their children remain home. The MAYOPEN youths came together to solicit for funds to educate the internally displaced pupils especially the primary school pupils in a project titled Watoto Shuleni
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT
MAAI MAHIU YOUTHS FOR PEACE AND ENVIRONMENTAL NETWORK
P.O BOX 1985 NAIVASHA
TEL. +254711588959, 0721892629, 0727947045
View Grassroots networks
KIAMBU COUNTY CHAPTER
Rift valley chapter
The Kenya Young Greens, KYG is an initiative of Kenyan youths promoting the green philosophy that is registered as a society in Kenya since 2007 during a meeting of the global young greens. The Kenya Young Greens is a chapter of the Global Young Greens which is an organization of youths who are 35 and under who agree to the green principles.
KYG Vision statement is “…a humane, equitable, just and ecologically sustainable society .
The Mission of Kenya Young Greens is to “Promote and advocate for a better Kenyan society through a culture of education, communication,advocacy, empowerment and networking with like minded young people to further the green principles.”
- Empower Young People within the framework of Participatory Democracy,
- Create a space for young people to be active without being dominated by older generations,
- Address inequalities between organisations and Individuals.
- Forge strong links between sectors and organizations and
- Lastly further the Green Principles on planet Earth
Just like Global Young Greens KYG subscribes to the following principles Ecological Wisdom, Social Justice, Participatory. Democracy, Non Violence, Sustainability, and Respect for Diversity. Political Action: Democracy, Equity, Climate Change and Energy, Governing Economic globalization by sustainability principles, Human Rights ,food and Water ,Sustainable planning, peace and security and Acting Globally.
For KYG to achieve its objective, we work under the following program
1. Communication Programme
The purpose of the communications programme is to ensure that youth have access to critical information and data that’s supports their work at different level